Thursday, August 13, 2009

Quilts as gifts

I can't believe this worked! After one aborted effort of getting a name on my dashboard that I didn't like, I am now happy with everything, and it was easier than I first thought.

My sister laughs at me every time an event happens (birth, significant birthday, any other reasonable excuse), because I make a quilt to mark the event. I have made quilts for births, for weddings, for birthdays, for the fun of it, and with bugs, stars, shabby chic, guitars, cars, cats, cartoon heroes and Japanese fabrics, just because I can! I would much prefer to be sewing than out in the garden pulling out weeds. Some friends can't see the point of cutting up a 'perfectly good piece of fabric' and then putting it back together. I love it. I love the creative freedom it gives me. There are no rules. You can put spots with stripes and florals, and it does work! Quilts made of a varied design pattern generally look a lot better than those with just all florals, or all spots or all stripes. In my mind anyway.

I also like giving a quilt as a present - to me it says so much more when a present is hand made. Time, effort and thought has gone into that gift, and that usually means as much as the gift itself.

As you can see from the photos, I am not as artistic as a friend of mine who presents her quilts draped over various objects. Mine are just hung over my couch, so that the whole quilt can be seen.

I have a day off tomorrow, so I must make a start on a Japanese quilt - this time for my sister's 50th birthday!

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! We are fabulous from your ' Artistic Friend'

    ReplyDelete